Date: 31st October 2010 at 8:22pm
Written by:

There was 41 goals in 12 games this weekend as League 2 went goal crazy.

There was a massive shock at Edgeley Park as bottom of the table Hereford United came away with a stunning 5-0 victory over Stockport County. Hereford welcomed back old favourite Rob Purdie and he sent them 2-0 up within 12 minutes. Mathieu Manset made it 3-0 when he chipped the ball over ex Bantam Matt Glennon and Stuart Fleetwood added a fourth 4 minutes from time. The scoring wasn`t over though, as Mansour Assoumani headed past his own keeper to add to County`s embarrassment. The result saw Hereford move off the bottom of the table and drag Stockport back into the battle at the bottom.

6 goals were shared at the Crown Ground as Cheltenham beat Accrington 4-2. Cheltenham scored as early as the 4th minute through Brian Smikle and Jeff Goulding got his first of two in the 18th minute. Terry Gornell pulled one back for Stanley in the 51st minute but a further goal from Goulding and Robin Shroot in the 80th minute completed the scoring for the Robins. Phil Edwards scored a consolation goal for Stanley two minutes from time but it was too little too late for John Coleman`s side.

Gillingham are still looking for their first away win in over a season as they lost again 2-1 to struggling Northampton. Ian Sampsons men looked to be struggling as Gillingham went 1-0 up when Chris Palmer put them ahead in the 7th minute. The lead only last 15 minutes, though, as Dean Beckwith equalised. The scoring was completed just before half time as Leon McKenzie converted a penalty, ensuring the travelling masses went home disappointed

The local derby between Port Vale and Crewe saw the home team gain the bragging rights. Louis Dodds put the Valiants ahead in the 13th minute with a neat header. The next goal came almost an hour later as Marc Richards put Vale 2-0 up from the spot. Clayton Donaldson got Crewe back in it with 8 minutes to go as he converted a penalty but the

Rotherham lost ground at the top this week as they went down to a single goal defeat at Paul Strokes Southend. Blair Sturrock, son of Paul, put Southend ahead in the 5th minute ad Rotherham never looked like getting back in the game.

Bury were one of the teams to capitalise on Rotherham`s defeat as they built up a gap between themselves and the chasing pack. Glen Little gave the Shots the lead but Bury pulled it back and Nicky Ajose wrapped it up in the 77th minute.

Chesterfield lost their lead at the top though in an uneventful game as they drew 0-0 at Stevenage. They had Tommy Lee to thank for the point as he made a couple of great saves.

Torquay got their season back on track as they beat Morecambe at home. Elliot Benyon opened the scoring in the 11th minute but Chris McCready equalised in the 30th minute. Ramon Rose, on loan from QPR restored Torquay`s lead and Elliot Benyon completed the scoring in the 75th minute.

Shrewsbury cemented their place in the play offs with a comfortable win over bottom placed Barnet. Craig Disley and Matt Harold put the Shrews 2 up just before half time. Jordan Parkes scored his first goal for Barnet to give them hope, but they never looked like getting a second.

Macclesfield continued their solid start to the season as they beat Burton, who are still looking for their first away win of the season. Hamza Bencherif scored twice as Macclesfield went in to the break 2 goals ahead. James Collins got his second goal in as many games for Burton but Macc managed to hold on for the 3 points.

Wycombe and Lincoln shared four goals evenly at Adams Park as the sides couldn`t be separated. Kevin Betsy put the Choirboys ahead inside 40 seconds, but Mustafa Carayol evened things up 20 minutes later. Reading loanee Scott Davies managed to put Wycombe ahead again but Lincoln loanee Ben Hutchinson completed the scoring in the 69th minute.