Date: 6th August 2017 at 10:49am
Written by:

Bradford making a winning start to the season was overshadowed by the horrific head injury suffered by Adam Chicksen on Saturday.

Chicksen, signed from Charlton in the summer, was knocked unconscious early in his debut against Blackpool, which saw a long delay before the former Brighton full back was taken to hospital.

Having trouble breathing at first there we serious concerns surrounding Chicksen but fortunately he was showing improvement by the time he was put into the ambulance and further improved in hospital.

Speaking immediately after the game Stuart McCall told the Official Website: ‘The good news is that he is improving. He was out for a few minutes and also struggling to breath at one stage so he needed some oxygen. There was obviously some concern for him on the pitch at the time. I went to see him as he was being stretchered off the pitch and he was at least awake at that time and knew where he was.’

Adding: ‘He was talking in the ambulance as he went to hospital. We’ve also been able to talk to him after the game and he seemed quite chirpy. He was asking about the score and obviously pleased that we’d won.’

McCall was braced for an absence of at least a couple of weeks, due to the rules in place when a player is knocked unconscious.

‘He is going for scans this evening but he hopefully seems ok. He will get checks on his neck and brain. We are hopeful it will be positive news and nothing serious. Going ahead from a football point of view, he will definitely miss the next couple of weeks due to the rules about concussions.’

Fortunately the club were later able to release a positive statement about his condition.

Chicksen has suffered a fractured cheek bone and that will need him to see a specialist next week but the most important thing is the defender hasn’t success any serious or long-term injury with the support and attention received appreciated.

The statement on the Official Website read:

‘The Club would like to give supporters the following update on Adam Chicksen after the defender was stretchered off during this Saturday’s 2-1 victory over Blackpool at the Northern Commercials Stadium.

‘Adam suffered a traumatic head injury during the thirteenth minute of play following an accidental collision with a Blackpool player.

‘He lost consciousness at the time and was having difficulty breathing.

‘He was treated and stabilised on the pitch, and subsequently transferred to Bradford Royal Infirmary for a full concussion assessment.

‘He was discharged at around 7:30pm this evening.

‘Test have shown Adam has suffered a fractured cheek bone and he will see a specialist early next week.

‘On behalf of Adam and his family, a big thank you must go out to the medical staff and players of both sides, including our visitors Blackpool FC, for their assistance in treating Adam on the field of play following the incident.’

Join The Vital Debate