Date: 17th October 2010 at 7:43pm
Written by:

Yesterday provided goals a plenty for Football League fans, especially in League 2.

At the top of the table, Wycombe lost 2-1 in their own back yard to a strong Chesterfield outfit. Summer signing Craig Davies opened the scoring during the first half but Wycombe pulled level in the second as another summer signing, Ben Strevens, lashed the ball into the net. However, Davies had the last laugh as he put The Spireites 2-1 up which subsequently sent them top of the league.

Port Vale failed to hold onto their top spot as they drew 0-0 at home to Gillingham. It was a game of relatively few chances but the Burslem based side could have nicked the 3 points with a late Marc Richards header. Unfortunately for Andy Hessenthalers Gillingham, it meant gaining an unwanted club record 33rd winless away game.

Completing the top 3 is Rotherham, who beat Accrington in a five-goal thriller 3-2. Accrington took the lead when Andy Parkinson slotted home in the 9th minute. However, after the dismissal of Burnley loanee Kevin Long, Rotherham managed to get themselves back in the game through the subsequent penalty from Adam Le Fondre. However, Stanley managed to retake the lead when Jimmy Ryan fired home. Unfortunately for John Coleman`s side, Exodus Geohagon scored an 81st minute header and Ryan Cresswell also headed home in the 92nd minute to break Stanley hearts.

At the foot of the table, there was a 7-goal spectacular as Northampton managed to blow a 3-0 half time lead to lose 4-3 at home to bottom side Hereford. Leon McKenzie bagged his first hattrick since 2002 to send the Cobblers into the break with a comfortable lead. However, caretaker manager Jamie Pitman`s half time team talk worked wonders as Hereford turned a crushing defeat into an incredible come-from-behind victory. Stuart Fleetwood bagged a brace and further goals from James McQuilkin and Mathieu Manset completed the victory.

Barnet travelled north to Stockport in hope of 3 points after last weeks home defeat to Bradford City. Stockport seemed the perfect place as they had yet to win at home this season and it seemed they would manage to take the game when Mark Byrne headed the visitors into a 49th minute lead. Stockport had other ideas though as goals from George Donnelly and Robbie Williams ensured that County took all 3 points from this clash.

There was another 7 goal game as Torquay played Bury. However, no 3-0 goal lead was let slip this time. Torquay did manage to build a two goal lead with strikes from Chris` Robertson and Zebroski. However, Ryan Lowe pulled a goal back from the spot and the comeback was complete on 33 minutes when Man Utd loanee Nicky Ajose fired home. Ex Bradford and Crewe midfielder Steven Schumacher put Bury ahead with a 51st minute goal but Zebroski equalised quickly to make it 3 goals apiece. One more goal did come though, once more to the away team Mike Jones made sure that the travelling Bury contingent made the long trip home happy.

Comeback victories were the flavour of the day and there was another in Cheshire as Oxford let a 2 goal advantage slip to Macclesfield. James Constable and Tom Craddock had put United into a 2 goal lead at half time. However, two goals from Paul Bolland either side of a Matt Hamshaw strike meant Chris Wilders side lost their unbeaten away record and returned to Oxford pointless.

In a game of very few chances a ten minute spell in the first half meant Aldershot gained a deserved 3 points against Sammy McIlroy’s Morecambe. Damian Spencer and Marvin Morgan gave the Shots a two goal lead mid way through the first half. Morecambe replied with their only shot on target – a 25-yard effort from Scott Brown which found the top corner.

Ten man Stevenage managed to hold on and beat Paul Peschisolido’s Burton side 2-1. In an ill tempered match, Chris Holroyd missed a penalty for Boro but they did take the lead when Scott Laird converted a second penalty. Burton managed to equalise just after half time through an Aaron Webster goal but Stevenage, despite being down to ten men since the 52nd minute, managed to win, thanks to a Chris Holroyd goal.

New Lincoln manager Steve Tilson watched from the stands before taking over on Monday as his new side crashed to a 2-0 defeat at Shrewsbury. The Shrews had themselves gone 6 games without a win. Winger Mark Wright gave them a 39th minute lead before diminutive striker Jake Robinson completed the scoring minutes later.

Crewe came away from Essex with a two goal victory as they ended their run of 5 consecutive draws. Southend came close themselves with efforts from Anthony Grant and Waide Fairhurst going close, but the visitors took the lead when Clayton Donaldson headed home. Crewe had missed a penalty before taking the lead but wrapped the game up when Shaun Miller added a second in the 77th minute.