Date: 23rd October 2010 at 10:18pm
Written by:

Goals were harder to come by than last week, but fans at Chesterfield and Rotherham were both provided to seven goal thrillers.

John Sheridan`s table toppers welcomed fellow promotion contenders Shrewsbury to the B2Net Stadium today in arguably the game of the weekend. A record stadium crowd at the B2 turned up and they were provided with goals a plenty. Chesterfield raced clear as Jack Lester, Drew Talbot and Craig Davies gave the Spireites a 3-0 half time lead. The lead looked unassailable as Davies added his second and Chesterfields fourth on the hour mark. However, Graham Turners much improved Shrewsbury side threatened to spoil the party as three goals in the last ten minutes almost saw them complete an unlikely comeback. The result sees Chesterfield go 3 points clear at the top of the league.

There must have been something in the air as in nearby Rotherham, ahem Sheffield, there was another seven goal extravaganza unfolding. Wycombe managed to get themselves into a promising position with two goals from Kevin Betsy and Matt Bloomfield in the first 20 minutes. However, Rotherham had pulled it back by half time through goals from the ever reliable Adam Le Fondre and Jason Taylor. It looked as if the sides would go in level but Ben Strevens restored Wycombe`s advantage as he netted in the 46th minute. The scoring slowed down in the second half but both sides converted penalties to make the score 3-4. The Millers slipped out of the top 3 but Wycombe cemented their place within the play offs.

Elsewhere Crewe managed to beat Aldershot 3-1 to leapfrog them as they climbed into the play off places. Goals from Byron Moore and Joel Grant both on the stroke of half time ensured Alex went into the break with a two goal advantage. An Anthony Straker goal ten minutes into the second half gave the Shots some hope but Crewe wrapped the game up when Ashley Westwood headed their third goal.

Ten man Torquay managed to salvage a point away at Gillingham in the 95th minute. Cody McDonald had given Gillingham the lead late on but a Kevin Nicholson free kick ensured the Gulls didn`t leave Kent empty handed.

Before the weekend Accrington had failed to win away from home and Hereford had yet to pick up the full 3 points at home. Both those records still stand though, as the teams played out a 1-1 draw at Edgar Street. Jimmy Ryan made sure Accrington went into the break with a one goal lead with his 25th minute strike, but Hereford pulled back with a goal from a Mathieu Manset lob in the 54th minute.

Nearly 1,000 Northampton fans left the Kassam Stadium unhappy as Chris Wilder`s team beat the Cobblers 3-1. Alfie Potter gave Oxford the lead in the 4th minute but Leon McKenzie equalised in the 16th minute. However, it was only downhill for Northampton as Doncaster loanee Josh Payne put Oxford back in front. The scoring was complete in stoppage time at the end of the game as Tom Craddock slotted home a penalty.

Struggling Barnet managed to improve their situation with a routine win in an uneventful game against Macclesfield. A 9th minute strike from Mark Byrne ensured the Bees came out on top in this clash where chances were at a premium.

Steve Tilsons first game in charge of Lincoln against Stockport was about as uneventful as possible. Both teams only managed one shot on target as the game finished 0-0. It meant Lincoln had failed to score in 6 of their last 7 games.

Bury climbed into the automatic zone as they made hard work of beating Southend at home. Bury had the perfect opportunity to take the lead as Nicky Ajose, who had his loan extended from Man Utd to January 3rd, was fouled in the box. However, Ryan Lowe had his penalty saved by Southend keeper Glen Morris. Bury did break the deadlock just before half time though, as Joe Skarz met Steven Schumachers free kick to head home.

Port Vale let Chesterfield build up a lead at the top as they failed to beat Cheltenham, in a game where there was only one shot on target. Port Vale had the better of the chances but failed to convert any as the game ended 0-0.

Another 0-0 draw was played out at the Globe Arena as neither Morecambe nor Stevenage could break the deadlock. Stevenage managed to waste the best of the chances as they had a penalty saved by Barry Roche.